Saturday, July 15, 2017

Mount Rushmore - July 14 & 15

Our family decided to split the 10 hour drive from SLC to Mount Rushmore into two days. We left Friday afternoon, shortly after 2 pm and traveled to Rawlings, Wyoming where we spent the night. There is not much to say about the drive. It was pretty uneventful, so we decided to start keeping track of license plates to see if we could see all 50 states during the trip. In the end, we got close with 43 different states.

To keep Andrew happy during the drive I let him borrow my cell phone. He figured out how to take selfies. I found these pictures after the trip when copying the photos from my phone to the computer.

Something else to keep us entertain was counting train cars. I counted up to 150 cars on one occasion. We passed several other freight trains with more than 100 cars.

The Best Western in Rawlins where we stayed was great. The three older kids enjoyed swimming in their indoor pool with Todd.

The following morning after breakfast, we got on the road again for the 6 hour stretch to Palmer Gulch KOA.  The drive didn't really get interesting until the last couple of hours. We stopped in Lusk, WY for lunch. The dinner had some surprisingly good food. Their shakes were especially tasty.

Adjacent to the dinner was a playground, so we let the kids get their wiggles out before traveling the last two hours.

The wait to check in at the KOA was somewhat long. After receiving our key to the cabin at the office, we had to wait in a line to be escorted by an employee to our location. Andrew was getting restless, seeing everyone getting out, but not him, so I just ended walking to our cabin with the kids, while Todd waited for someone to let him in.

We had read about some of the activities offered to guests, so we quickly unpacked and took the kids to the Fun Zone for a fire truck ride around the camp. After which they got to make their own glow in the dark tie-dye shirts. We ate a cardboard pizza at one of the restaurants in the KOA and took the kids swimming until 8pm.

Todd's brother Brandon, pulled into his cabin next to ours, right about the time we headed back to change. Todd's parents and his brother Kevin's family arrived 30 minutes later.